[pianotech] Windows 7 Compatibility Mode and older legacy apps

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Thu Jun 21 16:19:44 MDT 2012

Hi:

I’ve been the process of building new databases for my tuning customer files
in MS Access 2010, after which time I want to import my Lotus Approach 97
files (Dbase IV format) to it.  After that point, I will retire the old
dinosaur.  I bought a new laptop with Windows 7 Professional as an operating
system about a year and a half ago.  I downloaded the Windows 7 XP
Compatibility Mode and tried to install Approach on it shortly my purchase,
but no cigar for Approach, PScale, and another program or two.  So I’ve been
running Approach on my now 8 year old Compaq XP machine, and virtually
nothing else.

After setting a world record for procrastination before finally getting my
motor running to make the switch, I was rewarded when my Compaq started
getting seriously flakey, not wanting to boot most of the time.  So I called
a local computer professional and explained my dilemma – that I needed to
get the XP machine running long enough for me to complete the process and
transfer the files from one computer to the other.  He told me he thought my
problems were most likely software related (he turned out to be right) and
felt that he could fix it.  Since I only needed the machine for one program,
I had him reformat the hard drive, reinstall Windows XP (now updated to
Service Pack 3 – it runs much faster now – if you have an older XP machine
you should update to Service Pack 3 off the Windows web site), and put on
Approach and my files.  That’s all good, but now I don’t need the machine.
Here’s why:

He had told me that he was pretty confident that he could install Approach
and my files on the Win 7 computer.  I was skeptical, because the XP mode
install had failed.  Turns out there is another way, and it is called
Program Compatibility Mode.  He was right, it’s on the new machine and
running fine.  Doesn’t use all the screen real estate (there was no
landscape mode back then).  I had forgotten that my Approach 97 database was
written in 1996 for Windows 95.  He said that he could get most anything to
run using the Program Compatibility Mode. That even includes old DOS
programs, games for 386 computers, etc.

I have taken the liberty of copying a description and directions for Program
Compatibility Mode from the Windows web site:

Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Most programs written for Windows XP also work in this version of Windows,
but some older programs might run poorly or not at all. If a program written
for an earlier version of Windows doesn't run correctly, use the Program
Compatibility Wizard to change the compatibility settings for the program.
To change settings for a program manually, use the individual program's
Compatibility tab.

If changing the settings does not fix the problem, go to the program
manufacturer's website to see if there is an update for the program.

Warning

Do not use the Program Compatibility Wizard on older antivirus programs,
disk utilities, or other system programs because it might cause data loss or
create a security risk.

Run the Program Compatibility Wizard

1.       Open the Program Compatibility Wizard by clicking the Start button
Programs, and then clicking Use an older program with this version of
Windows.

2.       Follow the instructions in the wizard.

If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for the
program and, using the wizard, browse to the program's setup file, usually
called Setup.exe, Install.exe, or something similar. The wizard is not
designed to work on programs that have an .msi file name extension.

To change compatibility settings manually for a program, right-click the
icon for the program, click Properties, and then click the Compatibility
tab.

Setting

Description

Compatibility mode

Runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Try this
setting if you know the program is designed for (or worked in) a specific
previous version of Windows.

Run in 256 colors

Uses a limited set of colors in the program. Some older programs are
designed to use fewer colors.

Run in 640 × 480 screen resolution

Runs the program in a smaller-sized window. Try this setting if the
graphical user interface appears jagged or is rendered improperly.

Disable visual themes

Disables themes on the program. Try this setting if you notice problems with
the menus or buttons on the title bar of the program.

Disable desktop composition

Turns off transparency and other advanced display features. Choose this
setting if window movement appears erratic or you notice other display
problems.

Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Turns off automatic resizing of programs if large-scale font size is in use.
Try this setting if large-scale fonts are interfering with the appearance of
the program. For more information, see
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-the-text-on-your-scre
en-larger-or-smaller> Make the text on your screen larger or smaller and
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Ways-to-improve-display-qu
ality> Ways to improve display quality.

Privilege level

Runs the program as an administrator. Some programs require administrator
privileges to run properly. If you are not currently logged on as an
administrator, this option is not available.

Show settings for all users

Lets you choose settings that will apply to all users on this computer.

I hope that some of you might find this useful.

Will Truitt