[pianotech] dowels and glue joints

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 17:32:32 MDT 2012

I've used bamboo shishkebab skewers (available at most grocery stores) for dowels in places I want nearly invisible, such as doweling ribs to soundboards when I want to fill the hole left from the long sheet-metal screw I put through the board and rib to pull them together. (When other methods are impractical.) They are extremely strong for their diameter, come "pre-fluted" (for insertion without pushing all the glue out) and are mostly all the same size as a  standard drillbit. (Sorry, I forget exactly which one.) And look w-a-a-a-y better than a hammer-shank dowel! After drilling the screwhole out all the way through to the right diameter, go through the bag and find the ones that slide in just a little snug. Wipe on glue and push in. Trim to taste.

Euphonious Thumpe