[pianotech] dowels and glue joints

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 15:31:10 MDT 2012

The dimensional stability of a dowel is very good with the grain. Most
expansion and contraction of wood shows up in the width (across the
grain). Think- wood floors that open and close between boards side by
side but not at the end joints. That being the case, it is very
unlikely that a glued dowel will force a joint apart. In fact that is
why they are used. If a joint comes apart it may more likely be due to
glue failure and/or warped pieces under great tension needed to close
a re-glued joint.

BTW-You may have noticed that old dowels are not always round. This is
because of shrinkage across the grain that makes the dowels oval. They
shrink more in one direction than the other. But they don't shrink
much at all lengthwise.

I sometimes will bury a screw for added strength across a joint that
is under great stress,  and countersink it and plug it with matching
wood. If you choose to use a metal rod, be sure to use epoxy rather
than wood glue.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY