[pianotech] 1904 Starr Upright

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 12:54:59 MDT 2012

Rob

Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's, piano manufacturing was the single biggest industry in the USA. Anyone who had any kind of woodworking experience opened up a piano shop. All they had to do was get action companies and plate makers to send them the insides, and they were in business. Starr was one of many such companies in the Midwest. I've tuned many of them in St. Louis, and although they were OK, they were nothing to get excited about.

If the customer does have a "new for old" rider on his home owner insurance, then I guess the owner is entitled to a new instruments. But back then, the only uprights that were being made were at least 5" tall. That doesn't mean they are entitled to a new 60" or 52" upright. I would say anything in the 45" to 48" range would be comparable. Looking at the list of comparable new instruments, any of them in the $4000 - $6000 range would qualify.

Wim.