[pianotech] Jumpy strings

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Thu Nov 1 12:35:28 MDT 2012

In fear of being talked down to by Wim, I was hesitant in posting this.....here goes anyway.....

Has anyone had trouble with jumpy strings ? (On a 40's spinet Wurly which was only F to F keyboard)

I would get the string in tune and then all of a sudden it would "jump" flat or sharp.

Yes, I would do a pretty good "pounding" of the key

I finally got them tuned however it took about an extra half hour.

Is there any "safe" lubricant that could have been used ?

Thanks, Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ - Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding