[pianotech] cutting down a MH bridge

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Nov 2 09:14:03 MDT 2012

It’s not an issue of “bright”.  You can make a high impedance system sound
bright.  Technically I suppose it amounts to soundboard velocity, freedom of
movement upon the input of energy.  That massive bridge is too restrictive,
I believe.  Since I’m building a new soundboard for this one (of course you
couldn’t cut down the bridge unless you were, at least not easily), then I
can build the impedance I want into the board itself by optimizing the rib
scale even without changing the number or locations.  The bridge, which adds
something to the impedance of the system, can then be designed or modified
in size to be where I think it should be.  That might also mean cutting it
down some which then might involve reexamining the string heights and action
elevations.  The plate sits comfortably off the soundboard on dowels by at
least ¼” so there’s room to that but I haven’t gotten into all the
implications yet.  Anyway, that’s simply based on my own experience with
other pianos.  There are many things I like about the MH (except all those
little brass, half round aliquots) but I find them a bit choked generally
and I believe one of the contributing factors is that massive bridge.

I have restrung and reconditioned several Conover 77 pianos (though I’ve
never put a new board in one).  They are very nice pianos and the results
even on the old boards were good but I don’t recall the bridge
configuration.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com