[pianotech] dismantling old pianos

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 10 19:12:04 MST 2012

Hey John,I wondered about doing that, bashing up the plate. the salvage  yard doesn't care if the iron is in one big piece or several.  I need to pick up a heavier sledge hammer, one that bash off the sides of the piano case as well.  The one I have is only a few pounds and with a metal bar in the glue joint and some good whacks it works great, but way too slow.  Speakig of hearing beats, do you guys ever get this odd encounter. You're listening to the f3 a3 third and hear the wa wa wa wa that you are supposed to hear, but on some pianos you hear a faint wa wa wa on top of it and have to discern which one you are needing to set the temperament with? I find ksome pianos worse than others, like the laughour pardon the spelling but had trouble reading the decal lol .  Also do you guys ever have this occur, no matter what you do the bi chord notes at the tenor break toward the bass sound aweful no matter how much you try to make it sound good?  Some pianos are worse here than others.  I even found a single wound string in the bass on one piano that sounded bad.  What's really fun is honing in on a treble unison and blending in the beats.  I t hink beats are important because we have to know how to deal with them and make them work in our favor.Marshall215-510-9400http://www.phillytuner.com