[pianotech] Possible adaptation for the Tuning Exam

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Nov 11 14:42:40 MST 2012

Some how we have gotten off track. I'm talking about just to pass the tuning
exam.

Duaine

Duaine

First of all, the tuning exam is not going to change from what it is. if you want to have a chance at changing it, you're going to have to become an RPT, make your way on the ETS committee, and then make a recommendation for a change, which will then have to pass Council. Good luck with that.

Second. The first part of the tuning exam is tuning the middle two octaves, including the temperament octave, aurally. (Not using an ETD). I guess you could use tuning forks to match each note of the temperament octave, but two things. First, assuming that the forks are calibrated correctly, you would have to make sure each note is dead on with each of the 12 forks. That alone is a lot of work. And then second, because the harmonics of each piano is just a little different, you would probably need to tweak each note to fit into the temperament. And that just gives you one octave. You would still have to tune the other octave by ear, not using the forks. All in all, you would be better off just starting with one note, and tune the middle two octaves the "old fashioned way".

The bottom line, Duaine, is that using forks, or pitch pipes, to tune a piano is not going to give you a tuning that will pass the exam. And it probably won't give you a tuning that will be pleasant to listen to.

WIm