[pianotech] Steinway Backcheck "felt"

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 19 07:41:33 MST 2012

I just regulated a Steinway S from 1992.  The knuckle and backcheck felt was new for me.  It looked like ecsaine but more butter yellow and had almost no texture.  (Sorry no Picture) The wear was agressive even though the pianist was not a huge player physically but a daily player.  Some of the backchecks had to be set to check very low due to the wear and any severe angle change meant checking too high to be reasonable for repetitiion.  The knuckles were very unevenly worn and some were near wearing through to the underfelt.
What is this product?
Should the parts be replaced or is there a way to improve their function?
Thanks,
Steven Hopp RPTMidland, TX  79705