[pianotech] Steinway Backcheck "felt"

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Mon Nov 19 10:04:46 MST 2012

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Hopp <hoppsmusic at hotmail.com>
To: PianoTech <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Mon, Nov 19, 2012 8:47 am
Subject: [pianotech] Steinway Backcheck "felt"

>>I just regulated a Steinway S from 1992.  The knuckle and backcheck
felt was new for me.  It looked like ecsaine but more butter yellow and
had almost no texture.  (Sorry no Picture) The wear was agressive even
though the pianist was not a huge player physically but a daily player.
 Some of the backchecks had to be set to check very low due to the wear
and any severe angle change meant checking too high to be reasonable
for repetitiion.  The knuckles were very unevenly worn and some were
near wearing through to the underfelt.
What is this product?<<

 Greetings,
   Who knows?  Whatever it is, it is Genuine, so it has to be good.

>>Should the parts be replaced or is there a way to improve their
function?

Replace.  However, if the radius and arc, and angle are poor, the
checking will be poor, both in performance and longevity.  A good
checking system will check the hammer at the same height, regardless of
force,and it will do it without roughness on the tails,(which eats
leather).
    A backcheck will wear out, but not very quickly.  I have seen many
sets from the 1920's that were performing perfectly 80 years later, and
I have seen numerous sets from post-1960 that were worn beyond use in a
decade.
Regards,