[pianotech] wooden click at letoff?

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Wed Nov 21 00:42:18 MST 2012

I've had clicks like this that turned out to be the glue joint between
the hammer and shank, even though it didn't seem loose. But the knuckle
glue joint seems more likely here.

Obviously, checking that the flange is tight to the rail is one of the
first things you do in troubleshooting a click like this, but I've had a
very strange thing happen on 2 or 3 occasions: Tightening the screw
didn't make the click go away, but loosening the screw (enough to
separate the flange from the rail), and then re-tightening the screw
fixed the noise. I don't know why this would work, but I now do this
whenever I'm stumped on a clicking sound, just in case it happens again.