[pianotech] Expanding Brackets time?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 21 10:18:01 MST 2012

Paul,
Many thanks for the response. All new territory for me and my Associate, so
the words of wisdom/experience really help. That's what this list is all
about. (Thanks Newton<G>) BTW, happy Barnyard Buzzard Day. Be Safe Out
There.
Best,
Joe

and check the spread.  There are two different specs for that, depending
upon earlier or later models, usually 112 or 113mm.  While you have it off,
see if someone has turned down all the letoff dowels.  It's easier to screw
them up by hand when the rail is off than to use the regulator tool one
hole at a time.  The new brackets have taller feet, so you'll need to
replace the screws and also drill new holes for the angled brackets (the
ones in the middle).  Which means plugging them and redrilling.  You'll
also need to shim up the middle brackets, and make sure when you install
the action that the bedding of the frame doesn't cause the rail to bend.
Somehow the new brackets in the middle are somewhat shorter than the outer
ones.
> Most of the time you're ok, but if you decide to rebed the frame, you'll
be doing a whole regulating job if you do any radical changes to the glide
bolts.  Often they are quite low (sticking out the bottom), so just adjust
them to keep from knocking.  Since you're changing the brackets, some
tweaking of the frame is likely and adjusting the glides is necessary, but
don't make more work for yourself than needed.
> If you're lucky, you can get away with just re-regulating the letoff  and
drop, etc., which shouldn't be that far off (see above), and it'll be back
in good shape.  I've not timed myself, but if I were to guess I'd say 2-3
hours, including minor regulation.  If you go whole-hog, well you know what
that means and how much time/cost it will be.
> Is it worth what YC gives you for the job?  Not if you have to
re-regulate the whole thing, so you might need to charge the customer for
that.