[pianotech] Brighter Yamaha

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Nov 29 19:39:17 MST 2012

Hi Wim
 Carefully!.
 Voicing any set of hammers is of course a result driven process. The rule of thumb on any set of hammers that needs more sonic power is to use as little hardener as possible or only whats required. Sometime a few drops of lacquer on the strike point to produce  little ping is all that's needed. WIth Yamaha hammers I'd choose the dullest note (hard to imagine) and mix up some 8 or 10 to 1 lac/acetone mix and soak the hammer top to bottom. Let it dry several hours and see if this is enough.
Of course if the board jsut lacks horsepower the end result will be simply noise. pluck strings and find out if the sustain is in there. If it is then there is something to work with.
best
Dale

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.