[pianotech] Belly talk

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Nov 30 10:29:12 MST 2012

Rebuilding a 40's aeolian knabe grand, new works, including RC&S belly
of my design.

In prepping the case/rim for Fish, Cutoff and new rib placement, the
belly rail and curved side of the rim have what I would consider a
significant and (to my mind) superfluous "crown" machined into them. I
don't want the gratuitous complications, and will be removing the crowns
in the next day or so. This is especially true on the belly rail, where,
because of the location of the cutoff, a significant portion of the
"crown" radius is not even located in the "working" part of the board.

A question to other rib crowned belly heads...what do you do with these
"crowns"?  Leave'em or hack'em off? Since it's a bit of work to remove
them, do others leave them without undo complications?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com