[pianotech] Belly talk

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Nov 30 21:24:10 MST 2012

It's interesting how many unconnected dots there are in this discussion.
For instance, it's presumed and generally agreed that the rasten (where
did that word come from, incidentally?) ought to be beveled to "match"
the landing angle of the soundboard to minimize undue stress on
installation. So since this seems to be an acceptable premise for most,
a few questions come to mind. Have any of you who have installed
soundboards have actually measured or calculated the panel landing angle
and compared that with that of the rasten? Who has then adjusted the
rasten bevel angle to accommodate the panel? How about the relatively
recent tribe of redesigners using multiple rib radii? Tighter radii will
need steeper rasten bevels to match. Does anyone do this? How about bass
cutoff bars? How do you bevel the tops of these to match the panel
angle? Or do you? How about the fish in the treble? Rib radii in the
treble of "typical" redesigns tend to be pretty tight, like in the 4-6M
radius range. How do you contour the fish to match the panel? Does
anyone do this? If so, how about some details? If not, why all this
hypocritical pontification about matching rasten bevels to panel landing
angles to minimize panel stress if you don't bother to do it? I'll tell
you up front that I don't bother and don't think it means anything
anywhere near worth the posturing and pretending it typically gets. With
more people all the time exploring soundboard design and function, it
seems to me like a good time to clear up some of this glaringly
contradictory stuff. It's okay. Nobody's looking. You can come out from
behind the smoke screen and fess up. Trust me, no one will notice and
the world will go back to exactly like it was by morning. No darkness
will be unduly illuminated.

Ron N