[pianotech] Belly talk

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Nov 30 22:26:18 MST 2012

A bit of an overreaction.  No hypocritical pontification that I've heard,
for that matter not much pontification at all.  Simple comments for the sake
of discussion.

The stress I was referring to (don't know about others) was more to do with
the glue joint than the panel.  With modern glues the stress at that joint
is probably not significant.  But with hide glue maybe it is.  If you bend
the panel enough there to bring it down to the inner edge of the inner rim
when the rim is not beveled there probably is a fair amount of pulling apart
stress on that point and it probably made sense to insure that that point of
contact was as stress free as possible.  The amount of panel bending at the
rim may not be significant enough to impact the sound but what benefit could
there be to not having a bevel to at least more closely match the panel
landing area?  Why introduce additional stress to the panel by forcing it
into an additional bend there?  If you are using more conventional rib
crowning methods (or, for that matter none at all) I can see where using a
beveled rastern to help introduce additional crown into the panel could be a
benefit. Once glued down to an immobile rim, the dome shape would add some
wanted stiffness to the entire assembly.   That being said, I've certainly
glued in soundboards where the rastern was not beveled.  I can't say I
noticed a difference but how would you know?  It's hard to do a side by side
comparison and harder to separate out the relative contributions of the rib
scale versus the minimal crowning effect of the beveled rastern.

As far as the other issues go.  No smoke screen necessary.  I've abandoned
variable and super tight radius ribs as unnecessary and sometimes
counterproductive.  Similarly the treble fish.  I find too much stiffness to
be as objectionable as too little (sometimes more so) and there is a danger
there with both those features.  For that matter, I've also abandoned the
1/3, 1/3, 1/3 tapering pattering for a more conventional approach especially
in the top of the piano where excess stiffness is objectionable.  However,
with the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rib tapering an argument can well be made to insure
that the rastern is beveled since the ribs tend to be stiffer near the rim.

Cut off bars do present a problem (mine tend to be more modest when I use
them and I don't always, nor find them necessary with an adequately designed
ribscale).  They do add a certain control to the sound but that's a two
edged sword.  Boards without cutoffs can have more "life".  I've found the
best solution is to go ahead and angle the cutoff slightly to more closely
match the bevel and then cut the panel along the cut-off and glue on the
corner panel separately.  That avoids the "s" bend at the joint there.
However, I've also just installed the cut-off flat and just forced down the
panel onto it for that short section.  The pianos I've taken apart that have
existing cut-offs don't seem to be beveled even if the rest of the rastern
is.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com