[pianotech] A demo of oscillation interactions

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Oct 1 06:33:56 MDT 2012

On 9/27/2012 11:39 AM, Cy Shuster wrote:
> For those of us dealing in the interactions of vibration over time, this
> is pretty fascinating! 32 metronomes start randomly, and then
> synchronize. Watch the right-hand row around the 2:00 mark for an
> antinode to develop, and notice how quickly it shifts phase. The
> platform the metronomes stand on appears to be suspended by string, and
> the amount it moves left and right changes a lot over time.

This very thing happens tuning unisons too - probably everything else as
well, but it's more obvious with unisons. The yeooowwwwwwww heard as two
strings come close together in tune is the two of them drawing together
  and synchronizing courtesy of the moving common termination at the
bridge. Interestingly, farther apart in tuning and you'll get a beat,
but at a certain point, you'll get the yeow on attack that never repeats
as a slow beat. This is why I've said for so long that pretty much
everything important to tuning happens in the first half second of the
attack. That's aural tuning, because that's what I do. I've listened to
people tune unisons, listening three or four seconds into it waiting for
the next beat, then moving on when it doesn't come, leaving the yeow in
the attack and a less clean unison than they intended. If the metronomes
were set at significantly different periods (through a broader range),
they would cycle in a periodic pattern.

Neat stuff.
Ron N