[pianotech] PVC nasties

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sun Oct 7 11:35:31 MDT 2012

Geez...

Yesterday, I was working on a jig which involved embedding a 1/2
coupling nut in a bunch of 2' pieces of 3/4" sch 80 PVC.  It involved
heating the bolt up till the zinc plating turned yellowish, plunging the
hot nut into the ID of the pipe then plunging the hot pipe/nut into water.

It worked great, but I could not have done it without my positive
ventilation full head toxic everything hood, as the heated pvc smoked up
a storm. Being in the hood, I didn't smell anything nasty...which of
course is the point of the hood.

As I was doing it I noticed the freshly planed fir 2x4 cutoff I was
setting the pvc pipe on for insertion was turning blue.  Turned on the
big exhaust fan when I was done and left the shop to clear out. This
morning I go out to get something in the shop, go over to the work bench
where I had been doing this pvc nasties bit, and see that all the bare
metal surfaces for a 5ft radius are rusted with a surprisingly serious
oxidation...the kind of thing that only happens when acids are floating
around helter skelter.

Good thing I had adequate protection, but I think I'll figure out a
different technique next time...yuck!

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio