[pianotech] PianoDisc IQ system not playing in stereo

Paul Mulik paulmulik at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 06:55:48 MDT 2012

Hello all,

I've noticed a glitch with the PianoDisc IQ system in my own piano at home.  It has two speakers, but the system does not play in stereo; both speakers play the same thing.  This isn't really an issue when the piano is playing, but I often listen to music on my iPod or iPad through the system's speakers without using the piano.

The problem arises when listening to certain recordings.  For example, a recording of a jazz band may have the saxes on the right and the trombones on the left, or early stereo recordings of groups like The Beatles or The Smothers Brothers may feature half the musicians on the left channel and the other musicians on the right.  It's like listening to a stereo with only one speaker.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of balance control, just volume controls for each speaker, but since both speakers play exactly the same sound, these controls don't really help. Could something have been installed incorrectly, or is this a case of "they all do that?"

Thanks,
Paul Mulik, Joplin MO