[pianotech] side by side comparisons

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 8 16:10:12 MDT 2012

It's rare that I get to compare two pianos, same model, slightly different
treatments side by side.  At present I have two Steinway AIII's in the shop,
both got new soundboards.  Method of calculating rib scales was the same.
One piano has a modest cut-off bar, the other is more conventional.  Both
use precrowned ribs assembled at 5.5% EMC.  Panel thinning is the same. One
has Steinway hammers on it (circa 2000), the other has Pianotek Abel Select
hammers.

The pianos present somewhat differently, as you might imagine, and going
back and forth between them I couldn't really decide easily which one I
liked better--they are a bit different--I keep changing my mind.  So I
invited several pianists to come play them.  I was/am somewhat surprised by
the trend in preferences.  I'll report later but if the techs in the 'hood
want to come by to hear them I'll be in the shop most all of Wednesday.  One
of them goes out on Thursday.

Email or call in advance.  I'll report back later.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com