[pianotech] Tuning pins

Brian L. Johnston tunerman at eastlink.ca
Mon Oct 8 19:30:31 MDT 2012

I have encountered this problem several times on the top two single bass strings with some Yamaha models. I still see this on new Cable & Nelson models made by Yamaha to this day. I often lower tension, remove the coil and back the pin out a couple of turns while doing the warranty tuning to avoid future trouble. Why they don't instruct their stringers to do this at the factory is a good question. The dealer always covers my expense and provides new strings.

Brian Johnston
Nova Scotia