[pianotech] Hammer Blow

Floyd and Karen Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Mon Oct 8 20:49:04 MDT 2012

This week I'm going to see what happens to my hammer line if I set hammer blow to achieve a specified amount of aftertouch.  I've set the key height, key dip and letoff.  I'll put the acton in the piano, use a .045 punching with a notch cut out so I can slide it onto the front rail pin over the cloth punching with the key installed, and set the hammer blow for each of the white keys such that a weight on the key (I forget how many grams, and I'm not in the shop to check) brings it almost to let-off, and a slight downward tap on the key will take it through let-off.  Theoretically, the straightness of the hammer line I achieve with this procedure should allow me to evaluate how successful I was in setting even key dip and consistent aftertouch.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I tried it with a sample, and arrived in the range of hammerblow I was anticipating.

Floyd Gadd
Regina, SK