[pianotech] Hammer Blow

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Tue Oct 9 06:08:35 MDT 2012

This makes sense Jon.  I'll probably regulate groups throughout the compass of the keyboard to get the learning benefit out of the exercise, rather than setting the hammerblow this way on every single key.  At the end of the day I do in fact intend to do what you are recommendng.  Thanks for your help in clarifying where I need to end up.FloydJon wrote:Your hammer line will become erratic by doing this because of the
slightly different Key Ratios between notes. That procedure is what you
do to set an even touch with a priority given to aftertouch. But to do
this, you alter the dip not the blow distance. Keys level, hammer line
level, key dip slightly uneven. The pianist feels a even aftertouch and
not an uneven key dip. Altering the blow on an individual basis will
introduce volume discrepancies brought on by varying blow distances.

Aftertouch calibration by varying dip slightly is essential to a smooth
feeling action.

--
Regards,

Jon PageFloyd wrote:>This week I'm going to see what happens to my hammer line if I set
hammer blow to achieve a specified amount of aftertouch.  I've set the
key height, >key dip and letoff.  I'll put the action in the piano, use
a .045 punching with a notch cut out so I can slide it onto the front
rail pin over the cloth >punching with the key installed, and set the
hammer blow for each of the white keys such that a weight on the key (I
forget how many grams, and I'm >not in the shop to check) brings it
almost to let-off, and a slight downward tap on the key will take it
through let-off. Theoretically, the straightness of >the hammer line I
achieve with this procedure should allow me to evaluate how successful I
was in setting even key dip and consistent aftertouch.