[pianotech] Hammer Blow

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Oct 10 10:49:25 MDT 2012

Surely you don't imagine that I wrote that the pianist should determine the aftertouch???  Try reading it again.  What I wrote was that there is a difference between how accurately we like to set the aftertouch and how the key stroke feels when it bottoms out.  If your pianists prefer a harder landing then by all means use them, in fact you can probably go even firmer if you want.  So far, many of the pianists I work with who have tried them don't.  People should be aware.  I know everyone loves to jump on the latest greatest thing but it simply isn't always.  Often it's something that suits us as technicians but doesn't necessarily suit pianists who actually play the instruments.  There is a point of diminishing returns with how firm the punching can or should be, was my point.  At some point it crosses the line of being uncomfortable and/or noisy.  In my experience these punchings more often than not cross the line.  YMMV.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com