[pianotech] Cresendo Punchings was RE: Hammer Blow

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 07:04:14 MDT 2012

The only "sensible" explanation which occurs to me is that the absence of a mass of relatively softer material within the piano allows more of some partials to recirculate through the system and back to the board, to be transduced into sound. But even I, adamant proponent of the "Recirculating Vibration Theory",* am doubtful that , in the case of keybed punchings, it would amount to enough to be perceived by most listeners. So I'll propose another theory: that the mind can only be truly focused on one aspect at any given moment, hence, if part of it is distracted by an uneven, "squishy" feel beneath the fingers and how to accommodate this during the act of playing, the sound will be PERCEIVED as "less focused". (i.e. Is it the room that's blurry, or one's eyes?)

Thumpe

*Which explains, for example, why old American pianos with densely hardwood rims and/or cases project a more "focused tone" than those (such as many current imports) made with softer woods, in my opinion. That said, the wisdom of purchasing a clean, new piano, over some smelly, beat up, but once-glorious sounding hulk can not be denied for purchasers without the means for a total rebuild. Which brings me back to last week's unanswered question: someone told me that boatfuls of magnificent, old, American pianos are being shipped to China for rebuilding. (Confirmation, anyone???)