[pianotech] Cresendo Punchings was RE: Hammer Blow

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Oct 11 08:49:02 MDT 2012

On 10/11/2012 9:25 AM, David Love wrote:
> Might be a sort of catapult effect.  The more abrupt stopping of the key
> while the chain of levers is still engaged catapults the hammer into the
> string with a bit more force than it would otherwise.  Someone who
> understands the physics of catapults might need want to comment.  Outside my
> own ken.

The catapult rock, like the piano hammer, doesn't care what the levers
are doing after it's disengaged from the leverage. If the keys are
flexible enough to be bottomed out on the punching before letoff occurs,
this might well be a reasonable explanation, but then the action has
other significant problems than front punching density.

If the rock is still connected to the catapult at the end of the stroke,
I hope to not be anywhere near the thing when it smashes itself to
splinters.

No expert, but I've slung a lot of rocks with various contraptions back
in the misty past.
Ron N