[pianotech] Steinway Artist

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 09:03:58 MDT 2012

The Steinway artists' program, as I believe I remember it described in a 1960's "American Heritage" magazine, was developed in the 19th Century to ensure that visiting artists from Europe, such as Anton Rubenstein, would have in-tune pianos available at all the concerts on their North American tours. (Even in the backwaters and boondocks.) And, yes, being never seen in public performing on another brand was part of the deal. That this very clever marketing program was largely responsible for implanting in the general public's mind that Steinway is THE best piano of all time, I have no doubt.

Thumpe