[pianotech] Gulbransen glued stack

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Wed Oct 17 14:16:00 MDT 2012

Well, Duaine, I’ve heard where someone put the entire stack in a deep freeze for a week  ........ sub zero if possible.  This makes all the glue joints really brittle.  A chunk of wood laid on the floor, both bass and treble ends, lay said stack atop both, and stand or jump on the stack.  Or wait until February and take it up to Nordern Minnysoatah.  It’s bound to be colt enough up dare by den.

I’ve also heard of dipping the entire stack in a 55 gallon drum full of water and soaking it apart.  If I were to try this again, I think this would be my preferred method.

A third method I saw was where the individual pneumatics and pouches were redone with the stack in tact.  They failed to rebuild the valves and so that’s how I was called in.  The piano didn’t play any better after all that work was done.  Oh the heartbreak of it all.  I turned the job down.

I tried the table saw idea.  It’s easier to buy a stack premade.  I used Howes Piano out of Denver.  The first one worked fine.  The second one needed plenty of tweaking to get it to work.  Both times, Mr. Howes (can’t remember his first name) was really slow to deliver and difficult to do business with.  I think he had an “entertainment” problem but I could be wrong.

If you go the table saw method as outlined by Durrell of PPC years ago, make really sure you have a sharp blade, a true cut, and a straight fence and remember, most table saw blades were thinner back then.

I keep running into the bolts I bought for that job  ...........  almost thirty years ago.  They keep floating to the top of four or five coffee cans I have full of fascinating fasteners.

Good luck.