[pianotech] who pays--A perspective On Steinway marketing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Oct 21 13:50:36 MDT 2012

On 10/21/2012 1:57 PM, Dale Erwin wrote:

> Thatcomment  was primarily I hope for the long ears listening from

So who you talking to, them or me? By now, they probably know sucking up
when they see it. But then they're used to it and consider it their due.

> But...Over alifetime  of repairing these pianos, it adds up. Andyou
> are  correct the geographic/demographic
>
> difference is huge.

Yes, I know.

> Bullshit.Ok, whateverand  make money at it?

If pianos, Steinway included, weren't choked with design problems, we
wouldn't know the difference and would (still) be doing conventional
rebuilds and service. Redesign would have never come up without a reason
and a need, and no, that reason isn't necessarily Steinway, though
they're the most obnoxious about it. It wasn't until I got into redesign
that I started getting Steinways in the shop to any great degree. Before
that, it was Cables, Kimballs, Baldwins, Masons, and upright players and
such.

> Are you saying I'm a snob?

No, but the attitude certainly exists among the populous, and techs.
Ron N