[pianotech] who pays--A perspective On Steinway marketing

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Mon Oct 22 11:12:10 MDT 2012

Well, we've dissed Worleys and Baldwins until they are now made off shore.  It's Steinway's turn to be dissed, I guess!  Wrong stringing scale, overblown advertising, who gives a plug nickel?  We purchased 28 Model 45's (1098s) last year and I am very much impressed with them:  1.  Front rail and balance rail punchings same as Steinway grands; 2.  True sostenuto pedal - first I've seen in an upright (I know there are others; go ahead, tell me about it) - which means that our piano majors can play the music using the same pedal techniques as when they are playing the grands; 3.  Hammer rest rail adjusts with capstans, rather than having to glue additional felt under them to adjust the hammer blow distance; 4.  Action posts are in the front of the action rather than the back so replacing the action is the easiest I've seen;  5.  When removing the action the pedal rods stay in place because they are supported (like many of the old turn-of-the-century uprights);  6.  The fallboard and cheek blocks are removed in one piece just like the grands.  7.  Don't know whether this is good or bad, but they use the same letoff regulating screws as the grands (jack screws).  I'm sure there are others but they just don't come to mind.

There is a design problem or two that I wish were different, but I choose to be positive about the pianos and I'm impressed with them.  Gee, I feel so much better!

Joy!
Elwood

Rev. Elwood Doss, Jr., M. Mus. Ed., RPT
Piano Technician/Technical Director