[pianotech] Blocks

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 14:47:04 MDT 2012

It does get the pin a bit more out of the block and I do typically string
that way--four coils on the just the top section.  Traditionally, the block
was drilled at different speeds to get the bass end tighter and the treble
end less tight.  Since many (including me) double drill the block (smaller
pilot hole followed by final drilling taking off only a small amount of
material and thus not heating up the drill bit) the speed issue doesn't
impact the tightness of the pin.  There was a method to the madness of
controlling feed speed but it's a skill, like anything else, that probably
gets fairly refined if you are drilling blocks all day.  Short of that,
getting the pin more out of the block without the bottom coil being any
farther away from the block itself is probably the best recourse.  Of
course, in the "old days" they did both.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com