[pianotech] Tech cases

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Mon Oct 22 14:52:52 MDT 2012

Years ago I started with the black box with expanding trays typical of piano technicians of the day.  I then started to drop some money on Excelite cases ......  the leather over plywood type.  Sharp looking but didn’t really suit my needs all that well plus you ended up carrying all that structural material along with all the tools.   I went through two of them in about 10 years.  The dovetail at the corners would give it up.  My shoulder was starting to give me an attitude so I had to consider what I was doing all day that was causing that.  Between hanging on to the steering wheel at the twelve o’clock position, tuning pianos, and carrying the 50 pound case, I was at no loss for wonder why my shoulder was starting to talk foul words in my ear.  A Genck case wasn’t the answer.  I bought a soft sided one and couldn’t stand using it.  So bought a tool roll and made many trips out to the car for what was missing.  That got old in a hurry but my shoulder was cooling off.  So then one day I was at a garage sale and saw a Targus laptop case for $20.  It was so close to what I needed that I adapted to it quite readily.  15 years or better later, the case has been repaired in numerous places but then the zipper started to fail.  Finally it gave it up enough that I decided I’d better have a look around at what was going to be my next tech case.  Using the keyword Targus on Craigslist I found another one pretty much like my old one but improved.  Yep, $20 later I had my new one.  New they’re $130.  My Genck is my overload case that I keep in my car and has all the odd and backup type tools that are seldom needed in the field but sure are nice to have when you need them.  I put all the tools in the little pockets on the pallets and by the time I look in there again they’re all back in the same pile they were in last time I did that  .......  or so it seems.  In my Targus, I use the small and the large tool rolls and a small zipper bag (for the power adapter originally) for glues and really small tools that get lost easily.  The outside pouches house my invoices (portable desk from NEBS) and the other side holds my appointment book.

My (cheap) thrifty Scottish/English/German blood is happy.