[pianotech] Ship via US Post Office, Not UPS Store or UPS

Debbie Legg pianolady88 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 25 21:24:50 MDT 2012

After nearly 20 years of offering key service to the trade, I've
received and shipped, well gee, I guess thousands of boxes!  While USPS
may seem less expensive, I believe (I may be wrong) that you pay extra
for tracking.  Anyway, pricing aside, I have never received a damaged
package from either UPS or FedEx.  With USPS, many boxes look like they
tried to accordion fold them!  One shipment with USPS from only a couple
hours driving time from where the tech shipped, to my door, had been
re-boxed along its journey. The keys had been, literally, thrown in the
box haphazardly and one sharp was missing.  The tech had not insured the
shipment.  Just my experience...

My local Mailboxes, Etc. did not become a UPS Store.  The owner of the
franchise fought UPS in court over the issue as many of his customers
wanted to ship with different carriers than UPS and had been able to do
so through him.  We are in an area where, for more than 30 miles round
trip, his M,E was the only alternative to the Post Office.  He lost his
court case and has stayed in business under a different name without
offering UPS.  I've always had fantastic service through him and will
continue to ship FedEx through him.

If my opinion on shipping options is requested when I am contacted about
keywork, I always recommend either UPS or FedEX over USPS. For peace of
mind, I also recommend tracking on every shipment no matter the
carrier.  FYI...UPS routinely delivers Mon - Fri.  FedEx delivers to
business addresses Mon - Fri, residential addresses Tuesday - Saturday.
So, if possible and need be, work the system.

Oh and no matter what shipper you use, always verify the shipping
address label that they affix to your package!

Debbie Legg
Rockport, MA