[pianotech] high and outside

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sun Oct 28 21:45:35 MDT 2012

Terry,

- Even though my laptop has an internal microphone, I use an external one (also, the one I have has extended range to
handle all the frequencies of the piano)

- Do you start from A0 and go up sequentially

- Also, I learned the hard way, do NOT attempt to do any checks and balances until you are done. Because, if you adjust
anything as you are going along, by the time you get to the end, it WILL be wrong (because of all the movement and
tension differences)

- The only time I have REAL trouble is when a piano is more than 200 cents flat - which was a antique player piano that
NEVER had been tuned since it was purchased. And the like. They will take 2 or more passes while I'm there because they
are so far off.

- Also, as I've said many times before, most of my tunings are major pitch corrections from the get go. So, I have to do
the best I can do the first time - I think I've had, maybe, 2 clients accept a second tuning appointment within 3 weeks
to a month.

- All I know is about Cybertuner and it has 3 ranges of Pitch Raises, basically small, med and large. Based on the
reaction of the spinners' "fill in" handling, if the spinner does not start to fill in, I keep bumping it up to the next
level.

Thanks about all I can think of now,
Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ - Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding