[pianotech] pitch raising

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:23:55 MDT 2012

Hi Everyone,
I hope anyone reading this in huricane Sandys path are safe.  I find that I can get a piano pretty stable after two passes if a pitch raise is needed. I also find that the treble will try to go out before I can finish it. So I just hear how the note should sound and keep tuning up the key board.  Do any of you find that during a pitch raise the tenor section of the piano seems to stay put while the bass and treble want to go back out?  Is this due to string scaling or the pianos structure?  Do you guys ever have that happen?  I'm trying to speed up my pitch raising, but I've found that when I start, if I bring the note shapr several beats sharp especially if it's a half step flat, the pitch falls pretty much into A-440 range.  I've often it it pretty much dead on at the school when doing pitch raises by overpulling A4.  I did have one piano where I had to do 3 passes, a W urlitzer spinet. it was a whole step flat, yikes. not one string broke. I was thanking God that day.  Also do you guys ever find that a piano

 I tuned piano recently that was originally done by an EDT tuner.  It seemed like it was pretty decent after being a year since it was tuned. The temparement and pitch were slightly off, but octaves seemed to be close.  I am finding since I've been dong this groupon and having so many tunings that a lot of pianos are really sharp in the last octave, or they will be at pitch but the bass is way off or treble is way off.  I've had to explain to some people that a piano needs to be at the correct pitch before I can fine tune it, and I've made quite a bit from pitch raises. Here in PA our clmate is up and down humidity varies as well and I'm finding quite a few pitch raise situations.  I'm also finding that certain pianos vary in condition. One piano that hasn't been tuned in 15 years isn't that bad compared to another that hasn't been tuned in the same trime frame.  Tuning a lot of pianos lately is a real eye opener for me.  Thanks
Marshall