[pianotech] Was high and outside now silent pitch lowering

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Oct 30 07:35:13 MDT 2012

Terry,

Which Sanderson do you use? With the SAT3 you only have the option of 25%
or 33(?)%.

In most pianos, for smaller pitch raises I hardly overpull the bass at all.
If it's a big PR (e.g. 40c-50c or more) even then 25% is too much in the
bass.  I find that the 33% overpull in the top two octaves or so is
oftentimes not enough. In order to compensate for these, I usually
compensate on the "Msr" by going more flat (treble) or less flat (bass)
before having it calculate the overpull. I re-"Msr" every C#, F, and A
(M3's)

I strip mute, A0 - C8, unisons (center, previous note right, current note
left, next note center, etc.) as I go... someday I'll get brave and try a
single mute. Maybe.

I've always been tempted to investigate this, but does it really overpull
that much at the very top? In other words, if I overpull C8 by 33%, what's
to pull it flat, besides the other two C8 strings? Or are the other two
strings enough to drag it back down?

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN