[pianotech] Pitch Raising Article

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 19:48:06 MDT 2012

When I used the SAT3 I found the pitch raise decent but limited.  The RCT
has the best pitch raise programming, IMO.  The stretch is calculated on the
fly based on a trailing average, or so I'm told, so deviations in the degree
of out of tuneness are compensated for in each section.  There are some
built in protections so as not to go too far in areas where BP% is a
concern.  The stretch tapers off some at the very top.  Having played with
all three major machines I think the RCT has it hands down in terms of pitch
raise accuracy and much better than can possibly be achieve aurally,
certainly in the same amount of time.  The Smart Tune function can leave the
piano in an acceptable state with one pass, assuming you aren't moving the
pitch too far.  I've used this function for one pass pitch corrections up to
about 10-15 cents on some institutional pianos with good success.   On
private customer pianos I always do a second pass anyway but have found that
with the Smart Tune function there is often little to correct and those
corrections tend to be quite small (depending on how careful a tuning you do
the first go).  Of course on large(r) pitch corrections it's better to use
the normal pitch raise function and then do a second pass.  While all the
machines have their pros and cons, if you are in an area that requires lots
of pitch corrections it might be worth considering just what you are using.

The stretch amounts are adjustable, btw, if you are a tinkerer.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com