[pianotech] Was high and outside now silent pitch lowering

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Oct 31 08:36:39 MDT 2012

> Which Sanderson do you use? With the SAT3 you only have the option of 25% or 33(?)%.

I use the Sanderson pitch raising method - leapfrogging two mutes, unisons as I go, A0 to C88. I do not use an AccuTuner. I do use Verituner for iphone.

> In most pianos, for smaller pitch raises I hardly overpull the bass at all. If it's a big PR (e.g. 40c-50c or more) even then 25% is too much in the bass.

I agree that 25% would be too much. That's why I've settled on about 16%.

> I find that the 33% overpull in the top two octaves or so is oftentimes not enough. In order to compensate for these, I usually compensate on the "Msr" by going more flat (treble) or less flat (bass) before having it calculate the overpull. I re-"Msr" every C#, F, and A (M3's)

I agree that 33% would often be too little overpull, which is why I have settled on about 38%.

> I strip mute, A0 - C8, unisons (center, previous note right, current note left, next note center, etc.) as I go... someday I'll get brave and try a single mute. Maybe.

I effectively do the same thing, only with two mutes.

> I've always been tempted to investigate this, but does it really overpull that much at the very top? In other words, if I overpull C8 by 33%, what's to pull it flat, besides the other two C8 strings? Or are the other two strings enough to drag it back down?

No, of course not. I usually decrease the overpull on the last few notes. Let's say I'm doing a 55-cent pitch raise - the 38% overpull should be about 20 cents. I would overpull A8 and all notes below about 20 cents. I would likely aim for 15 cent overpull on A#8, 10 cent overpull on B8 and only 5 cent overpull on C8. I also find that I'll decrease the calculated overpull on the last note or two in the upper tenor and bass. In the low tenor I will increase the overpull by maybe 10% of the calculated overpull. And in the monocord section of the bass, I'll usually double the overpull (about 30%). I just find that these few tweaks usually get me closer to the ultimate target in the end.

Terry Farrell