[pianotech] re; Action Ratio Measuring

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sat Sep 22 21:33:49 MDT 2012

Assuming a rather poorly set up key to wippen relationship and assuming a
very short key (i.e., one typical of a 150 cm grand) the sliding motion will
be about 0.2 mm (or about 0.008"). Most actions-properly set up and with
longer keys-will have less than this.

There is so little sliding motion between the capstans and the wippen that
the capstans typically corrode and discolor. If there was any appreciable
sliding motion they would polish themselves.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

del at fandrichpiano.com  <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> - ddfandrich at gmail.com