[pianotech] Damper tray block

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Sep 30 11:01:55 MDT 2012

Spoons and capstans make for an easily adjusted back action.

Many times, the dampers were lifting at the correct time but the sliding
friction was a drag. When I lower the pivot and readjust the dampers,
the action is
plays with less effort. So in my opinion, lifting an under lever to
lever (or almost) is desirable.

The top flange is still lifted to the about same point (slight bit lower
due to the lower pivot) so there is no sos. problem.

--
Regards,

Jon Page

On 9/30/2012 12:36 AM, David Love wrote:
> Personally, I like damper underlevers with spoons and that seems to solve
> these problems.  Makes tweaking the adjustment easy as well.

I like spoons too, and capstans. Choice and control.

> Whether setting the underlever level is good or bad I'm not sure.

Me either, which is why I asked.

>That
> would be setting it pretty high unless you lowered the tray which can create
> problems with the dags and the bottom of the tray.  I don't particularly
> like to lower the tray for that reason.

Practicalities, surely, but not to the question.

>If the UL is at too steep an angle
> why not simply put on thicker key end felt.

More practicalities. Height of the sostenuto needs looked at here.
Ron N