[pianotech] Humbly questioning choice of words, was Re: Totally glueless

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Feb 1 12:43:49 MST 2013

On 2/1/2013 1:03 PM, Mike Spalding wrote:

> Perhaps there is a better word than "belief" for a conviction based on
> examination of evidence - what term do you prefer?
>
> thanks
>
> Mike

Hi Mike, Here's what I've got:

be·lief (b¹-l¶f“) n. 1. The mental act, condition, or habit of placing
trust or confidence in another. 2. Mental acceptance of and conviction
in the truth, actuality, or validity of something. 3. Something believed
or accepted as true, especially a particular tenet or a body of tenets
accepted by a group of persons.

This definition is pretty much what I see in action, with no examination
of evidence indicated. I prefer "think", which is what I use and try to
do. I'd rather be a thinker than a believer, whatever the dictionary
definition. I've been asked why I won't just "accept" a concept and
believe. That's faith based usage. I don't think this is gracefully
resolvable because everyone plays by different rules and each believes
themselves to be right, or thinks their point is reasonable when they
indicate the reasoning behind it. These are vastly different attitudes.
The best and clearest differentiation I've come up with is the use of
think rather than believe, but the only way to avoid misunderstanding is
to cease trying to communicate altogether.

Ron N