[pianotech] First Pinblock

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Sun Feb 3 10:41:00 MST 2013

Terry,

You're absolutely correct about the high density filler being stronger
than the colloidal silica.  I like that West offers a variety of fillers
with different properties.  I use several, including the colloidal, high
density, microlight, and filleting blend.  Each has it's uses.  The
reason I prefer colloidal silica for pinblock fitting is that I can make
a mix that is thin enough to flow out of the way when pressed, but which
won't drip gratuitously while I'm moving the pinblock into position, or
flow out of the joint while I'm waiting for it to cure.  Strengthwise,
it only needs to have a compressive strength as high as the maple block
it's applied to, which my experience tells me it does.

Mike