[pianotech] First Pinblock

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 12:54:50 MST 2013

Thanks all. I have read the 1'st two of Jack Krefting's Upright Restoration
articles from 1982 and ya'll echoed some of those ideas (steel, or plywood,
reinforcement; fixing tuning pin position).

Mike: it is not a 2-part block. So no problems there.

Flange-mentioners: i don't think there is a flange. as a matter of fact,
the plate is sitting on top of the lower pinblock. No wonder it failed. You
can like reach your fingers underneath the plate, like, all over the place.
(well, not ALL over - but most of it, as it rests a half-inch or so from
the soundboard).

Plus, I'm not sure the pinblock was made of the best wood.

Not to worry! We'll figure it out :)

I don't expect any replies here until I get into the shop again and learn
more and get some pinblock-specific pictures. Just responding to the posts.
However, i'll attach a photo of the back. [image: Inline image 1]