[pianotech] first pinblock

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 3 16:19:46 MST 2013

Terry said:
"Why? I'm not suggesting that it not a good thing to get it close, but even
if you left an inch gap and filled it with epoxy (good, very hard epoxy),
why would that not be as ideal as a "perfect" fit with no epoxy, or only
absolute minimal epoxy?"

Terry,
I think it's called pride in workmanship.<G> Besides, just because you are
known at the King of Epoxy, doesn't mean it's the be-all of those sort of
thangs. Yes, I do bed my pinblocks with epoxy. Always have.. because that's
the way we did it in Del's shop. I've found, over the years, that the added
step of bedding w/epoxy results in a very stable piano.
The "mess" on this thread is an example of poor use of epoxy. Wouldn't want
to clean up that! Most separated pinblocks, that I've done, were just fine
with Cold Hide Glue and Bolts. However, there were a couple that had so
many voids, that epoxy was the only way to get the job to be successful.
One job, using epoxy, was a spinet with some kind of GOOK glue, that was
not identifiable, so I used epoxy, as it will stick to damned near
anything. Pretty much goof proof if used properly, imo.<G>
Now, get busy on that Square dude.<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.