[pianotech] First Pinblock

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 4 08:41:24 MST 2013

Ron-you wrote--
People have for years been trying to tell me that tuning pins move back against the plate holes because the block rotates, ignoring the wide
contact surface between block and plate that would prevent that.
Ron N

On epoxy bedding pinblocks in general, I consider it necessary. Looking at old pinblock takeouts,
 I often see a millimeter of crush along the  plate flange-
Ron N

 I would think that a mm of pinblock crush crush would account for the block moving forward enough under 40 K lbs
of string pressure to cause pins leaning against the plate holes that we often see in aged pinblocks,...
 Especially in the bass where string tension is highest and plate holes often mysteriously the smallest.
 Dale

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos