[pianotech] Epoxy was first pinblock

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Tue Feb 5 06:55:50 MST 2013

Terry wrote:
<But my question remains unanswered: from a structural standpoint, what
would be the problem with filling a wide gap the entire length of the
flange to pinblock joint? I don't think there would be a problem.

Terry, to address, but perhaps not definitively answer your specific
question. My experience of epoxy, both in my previous field of
architectural historic conservation, and in the piano realm is that, the
substance has some unique and valuable qualities, but it is not the cure
all panacea many assume it out to be. It, like any substance, natural or
man-made, has limitations.

In the 80's when the historic conservation crowd took on epoxy with
gusto, is was used sometimes to create large structural gaps, in
structural and decorative timbers. Five years down the road, the large
gaps exhibited a huge failure rate. The protocols were adjusted to use
it as an adhesive between reasonably fit "Dutchmen" with no more than
1/4" glue lines, and preferably less. The problem was that the expansion
rates of the epoxy and its surrounding materials were incompatible. In a
large gap the relative inflexibility of epoxy was simply too hard and
brittle to withstand the push and pull of wood.

Also, epoxy continues to harden as it ages, becoming more brittle than
even a 30 day complete cure would suggest. It continues to crosslink.
How long, I don't know, but even the most flexible epoxies, turned into
brittle masses over a period of years. So assuming your flange/block
joint depended entirely on the epoxy for its fit, would this aging
brittle material be able to take the load you are wondering
about...maybe and maybe not???

It seems, from what I've seen, that the situation where epoxy performs
most reliably is when it is used as a component of a composite. The
"pretty good wood to flange fit" with epoxy consolidating the wood
bearing surface a little bit, and the epoxy effectively spreading the
load to the entire wooden bearing face, makes long term sense to me. It
uses the substance as a component of a composite. That's why I use it in
this fashion.

I have had, even very recently, epoxy failures. These failures which
never made it into a piano, but only as test joints. These failures, and
all my previous experience with the stuff leads me to use it conservatively.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com