[pianotech] First Pinblock

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 07:21:56 MST 2013

>But my question remains unanswered: from a structural standpoint, what
would be the problem with filling a wide gap the entire length of the
flange to pinblock joint? I don't think there would be a problem. - Terry
Farrell

Terry - Have you ever noticed how it's the poorly made, lower quality
pianos where corners are cut, and short cuts are taken? If you haven't,
start paying attention.

I've got a collection of old pinblocks I've taken out of pianos of the
whole range of quality levels. Invariably, it's the cheaply made dog of a
piano where they've tried to fill in the gap where the pinblock fits the
flange. I've got examples of pinblocks where wooden shims were shoved it,
and hardened goop of various types has been used.

As a piano technician, which brand name would your rather emulate -
"Meldorf" or "Mason & Hamlin"? The last Meldorf that I had the misfortune
to work on (the owner was quite attached to the instrument - I couldn't
talk her out of it), had a pinblock that was "cut and filled" in the
precise way you describe. The last Mason & Hamlin grand that I had the
pleasure of rebuilding had a pinblock that fit like the proverbial glove.
No goop whatsoever, because there was no gap to fill!

The thing of it is, correctly fitting a pinblock is not that big of a deal.
If you are careful in cutting with your bandsaw, less than an hour of work
with a drum sander mounted on a drill and you'll have a fit that will pass
the "business card test."

For me, that's an hour well spent.  Chuck