[pianotech] muffler rail

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 20:51:34 MST 2013

Marshall

>From the looks of the picture it seems that the spring has been hooked to
the part that is supposed to be hooked to the metal rod that connects it to
the pedal. When the muffler is in the correct position, there should be a
small hole in a part that is on top of the rail for the spring to attach to.

To reattach the rail do the following. Look for a metal rod lying against
the side of the piano by the muffler rail. It should have an upside down J
at the end of it. Take the pivot pin that locates the end of the rail out of
its hole and let the rail drop low enough for the upside down J end to slip
into the part with the red felt. Lift the pivot pin up and into the hole in
the side of the piano. This will keep the muffler rail down. Now find the
small hole that the end of the spring came out off and reattach it to pull
the rail up. You will most likely find that the spring works fine, but you
also may have stretched it so that it needs to be replaced.

Hope that this is not to confusing but helps. The main thing is that you
have attached the spring to the part that should be attached to the pedal
linkage.

Rex Roseman