[pianotech] Fwd: "Build your own piano" book, was: L.W. Foster Piano?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 7 06:16:05 MST 2013

Four minutes and 35 seconds of video introducing the world's largest/longest piano. Unfortunately, the video failed to mention just how big/long the piano is. Looks pretty long though.

I wonder how long the keys in the bass are - and how much they flex. Are they bottomed-out before the hammer hits the string on a moderate blow? I suspect the piano will be plagued by an extreme case of action saturation.

I wonder if a well-designed set of carbon fiber keys might solve that problem in a very large piano like this - you could likely have the stiffness you need without excessive weight - pretty easy to concentrate stiffness near the balance rail where you need it also. Might cost a tad more to manufacture than a wooden key........  :-(

Terry Farrell