[pianotech] piano recording

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 18:24:45 MST 2013

OK, I have more time this evening to write this up.

I think the recording is really good, even with the volume turned way up, the piano shows good sustain, good clarity even at fortissimo, and even when overdubbed for the pieces written for two pianos. (And the good sound survived the transcoding that YouTube does. There is a 2nd track from the CD on YouTube as well, but the sound appears to have been munged by YouTube.) Of course, I have heard the entire CD which includes a wide range of tunes in the tango style. I don't hear anything shrill, although the tenor and bass of this piano may have some longitudinal wave issues. Still, I love this piano.

The tuning isn't stellar, but I'll explain. This CD was recorded on Ron Nossaman's B in the UMKC recording studio. The piano tech was called only at the last minute; If I am remembering correctly, I had already tuned 6 that day, so my contract tech went in and spent 2 hours with the piano, and that was the only tuning done for the entire CD.

Since November when the recording was done, the action has been regulated.

So, as far as we know, the entire CD was recorded in a single evening session. I think the composer-pianist shows great skill. Conditions were not perfect, but this CD overcomes much. At least, that is how I hear it.

Kent